STUDENTS ATTENDING A SUNY SCHOOL MAJORING IN SCIENCE, TECHNOLOGY, ENGINEERING, OR MATH (including this year's seniors!) - there is now a scholarship offered to students in the top 10% of their class majoring in a STEM career which covers the full cost of tuition. There are many conditions to this scholarship, so be sure to look deeply.
The Excelsior Scholarship, in combination with other student financial aid programs, allows students to attend a SUNY or CUNY college tuition-free.
For a list of other SUNY scholarships go to NYS Higher Education Services
All seniors who are planning on attending college in the fall will need to fill out the government FAFSA form after October 1st. (www.fafsa.ed.gov) Students and parents will also need to create an FSA ID. This becomes your electronic signature. All this can be done on the FAFSA website.
Need help with financial aid? SUNY offers financial aid days, where you can sit with a college financial aid professional and get help filling out your FAFSA. See SUNY.edu for more information.
Another great place to start is at the New York State website for financial aid (Hesc.ny.gov) with Start Here. Get There
What Do I Need to Fill Out the FAFSA?
- an FSA ID (user name and password)
- the student's driver's license if they have one
- student's and parent's social security numbers
- prior income tax returns for both student and parent
- current bank statements for parent and student
- records of documentation for things like untaxed income, stocks, investments, etc
- business or farm records
- current mortgage information
There are websites parents may want to visit listed below. It is never too early to start planning for college and the expenses that go along with it.